New Zealand’s fuel prices are on the rise, so it makes sense to hire a car that uses the least fuel. Whether you would like to rent a car for a short trip or a long trip, there are a variety of fuel-efficient options to choose from. Let’s discuss some of our most fuel-efficient rental cars so you can decide which one is right for you.
Among our smallest and most affordable cars are our economy hatchbacks, such as our Toyota Yaris with a 1.3L engine and Holden Spark with a 1.4L engine. The Toyota Yaris (automatic) uses approximately 6.3 liters per 100 kilometers, and it has a tank capacity of 42 liters. As for the Holden Spark, it consumes about 5.8 liters per 100 kilometers with a tank capacity of 32 liters.
Our small hatchbacks are a good choice if you need a bit more space, such as the Toyota Corolla which has a 1.8L engine and does about 6.1L/100km, and the Ford Focus which has a 1.5L engine and does about 6.4L/100km.
How to improve fuel efficiency in your rental car
Driving style also affects fuel consumption, and you can save money by following these tips.
- Create a trip plan – Combine errands with trips or plan a long trip that is fuel efficient.
- Relax – The cost of fuel per trip increases by 40% when you drive aggressively, such as accelerating hard and braking hard.
- Watch your speed limit and drive smoothly – Use cruise control, and remember the faster you go, the more wind resistance, the more fuel you’ll consume.
- Engine Brake – Using the engine brake early is the best way to slow down.
- Avoid idling – Unless you are in traffic, turn your engine off if you are idling for more than 10 seconds.
- Drive to warm up your vehicle – Modern vehicles only need thirty seconds to warm up in the winter.
- Minimise air conditioning – You can avoid air conditioning by using flow-through ventilation or opening windows around town. When you’re on a long trip, an open window can actually use more fuel than air conditioning due to increased wind-drag, so keep both factors in mind.
Photo credit: Bestami Sarıkaya/Unsplash