We here at Shore Rentals are concerned that our drivers are adequately prepared for driving in New Zealand. There may be differences between road conditions here and in your home country. To that end, we have compiled 10 basic rules to help make your experience as safe as it is memorable.
- KEEP LEFT! We drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- Everyone in your vehicle must wear a seatbelt, and children must be secured in an approved child seat. Shore Rentals can rent child seats to you if you didn’t bring your own.
- Don’t exceed the posted speed limit. Always stop at red traffic lights and STOP signs.
- Always slow down to observe recommended speeds around bends and check for oncoming traffic on one-lane bridges.
- Overtake other vehicles only when it’s safe to do so. Use passing lanes whenever possible, and never cross a solid yellow line on your side of the centre line.
- Stay well-rested. Plan to drive for only 1 – 2 hours at a time, and take regular breaks during your journey to stretch your legs.
- Drive to the conditions. You’ll need to reduce your speed if it’s raining, icy, snowing, windy or if you’re in a roadworks area. Refer to www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz for up-to-date information on road closures and conditions.
- Plan your journey. Use the Driving Time and Distance Calculator on the DriveSafe website or the AA Route Planner. Driving in New Zealand can often take longer than expected due to winding roads.
- Do not drink and drive. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a crime in New Zealand and strictly enforced by police, with severe penalties for offenders.
- Do not use a mobile phone while driving in New Zealand. If you need to make a call or send a text, pull over at a rest area or in a safe place
Please watch the video above so you are prepared for your journey, and make sure that you stay a night in your arrival city and that you are well rested before you hit the road.
The official New Zealand road code is available and contains NZ road rules and safe driving practices at NZ Transport Agency