We fully understand that sometimes accidental damage does occur, that is why we offer our customers two different car rental cover options.
A Standard Cover is included when you rent any car from Shore Rentals. If the car is lost, stolen, or damaged you will be liable for the full amount of excess for that vehicle usually up to $5000 NZD.
If you would like peace of mind with your car hire, we recommend taking our Reduced Excess Cover. This drastically reduces the excess amount payable if there is damage to your car. You can add this comprehensive car insurance when you book online or at the counter when you collect the car. The cost per day is $26 for Toyota Yaris, Holden Spark, Toyota Corolla and Ford Focus , or $31 per day for the Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5 or Mazda CX-9.
Please note we must have a credit card that matches the hirer’s name, which we will hold a bond on as security. All bonds will be automatically released back onto your card which will take between 5-10 business days (regardless of the length of your hire).
Standard Excess on Vehicles
Toyota Yaris, Holden Spark, Toyota Focus ($4000)
Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5 ($4500)
Mazda CX-9 ($5000)
Reduced Excess on Vehicles
Toyota Yaris, Holden Spark, Toyota Focus ($400)
Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5 ($450)
Mazda CX-9 ($500)
Why do I Need Car Rental Insurance?
While in New Zealand car insurance is not compulsory (even third-party), if you have any sort of accident (even if you’re not at fault) you may still be charged for it.
If you are in an accident, we ask that you try to obtain a police report so we can find out who is at fault. All accidents must be reported to Shore Rentals the day that the accident happens, so we can advise you of the process you need to take.
What Will I Not Be Covered For?
- We do not cover personal loss, injury, or theft. In New Zealand personal injuries are covered by the Governments Accident Compensation Scheme.
- Taking the rental car “off-road” on unsealed roads, off public roads such as 90 Mile Beach (Northland) and State Highway 38 Lake Waikaremoana as these roads are not normal driving routes.
- Damaging the rental car purposely
- Driving recklessly or while intoxicated
- Allowing other people not named on the rental agreement to drive the car
- Driving beyond the agreed return time
For more information about our covers and insurance, feel free to reach out to our team online or visit us at our Takapuna office.